OCLC and Importing Bibliographic Records
- Setting up Connexion for Alma (Word) / (pdf) A short video detailing step-by-step instructions about setting up OCLC Connexion Client to export bibliographic records from OCLC to Alma. Video
- Importing Bibliographic Records from Connexion to Alma / (pdf) – Learn how to form MARC field 949 to create inventory in Alma. Using an import profile to import bibliographic records from OCLC Connexion Client to Alma.
- Setting up CatExpress for Alma (Word) / (pdf) – A short video detailing step-by-step instructions about setting up OCLC CatExpress to export bibliographic records from OCLC to Alma. Video
- Importing Bibliographic Records from CatExpress to Alma (Word) / (pdf) – Learn how to use CatExpress in order to import bibliographic records from OCLC CatExpress to Alma.
- Batch list of OCLC numbers for input to Connexion (Word) / (pdf) – Using a .txt document as an input file to update holdings in WorldCat. OCLC Connexion users only.
- Assigning Function Keys in Connexion for ALA, Characters (pdf) – Streamline foreign language cataloging by learning how to assign function keys to special characters.
Importing Bibliographic Records
- Import profile considerations (Word) / (pdf) – Selections to consider when creating an import profile for importing bibliographic records.
- Order record overlay based on POL (Word) / (pdf) – Using an import profile to match the incoming bibliographic record by the POL number (order number).
- Creating a POL overlay import profile (Word) / (pdf) – Create an import profile to match the incoming bibliographic record on the POL number (order number).
- Overlay based on OCLC number in a brief bibliographic record (Word) / (pdf) – Overlay a brief bibliographic record created in the Institution Zone. Share the bibliographic record with the Network Zone once the brief record overlayed with a full bibliographic record.
- Copy Cataloging using the Network Zone (Word) / (pdf) – Using Network Zone bibliographic records for basic cataloging.
- Cataloging using Search Resources (Word) / (pdf) – Making the most from the Alma functionality of searching external resources, such as WorldCat, to import bibliographic records to Alma’s Institution Zone.
- Importing Alma local fields to the Network Zone (Word) / (pdf) – With the March 2020 release, it is now possible to import Alma local fields to the Network Zone.
Workflows and Configurations
- Call Number Mapping (Word) / (pdf) – Learn about mapping call numbers from the bibliographic record automatically to the holding record. Learn about mapping call numbers from the bibliographic record automatically to the holding record.
- Adding URLs (Portfolios) to Bibliographic Records (Word) / (pdf) – Learn how to add URLs to individual bibliographic records. Use instructions to add URLs to course reserve records.
- Adding Item Notes (Word) / (pdf) – using the Change Physical Item and a set of records to add or update item record notes.
- Ex Libris basic getting started with Alma cataloging videos.
- Resource Management Overview, 6 videos (70 minutes) – Please note that per MnPALS policy, all bibliographic edits need to be made in OCLC, except for adding local fields.
- Navigation and Searching, 2 videos (17 minutes)
- Creating Sets, Running, and Monitoring Jobs (17 minutes)
- Importing Bibliographic, Inventory and Order Records in Batch (9 minutes)
Sets and Jobs
- Create sets (Word) / (pdf) – Creating sets is the first step to update and batch changes in Alma. Learn the basics of set creation.
- Batch updates and jobs in Resource Management (Word) / (pdf) – The document describes resource management-related jobs and their functions. Also, highlighting the basics of running a job.
Publishing to OCLC
Publishing to OCLC
- Publishing to OCLC (Word) / (pdf) – Alma has the ability to publish bibliographic, holding, and electronic records to OCLC.
Scan and Toss
- Scan’N’Toss (Word) / (pdf) – API developed at the PALS office to assist in the item withdrawal process. API creates an item set and a text file with OCLC numbers for the Connexion Client to delete WorldCat holdings.
- Batch Changing Holding Records using a Normalization Rule (Word) / (pdf) – Use normalization rules to change indicators, delete or add subfields.
- Update bibliographic records with local MARC fields (Word) / (pdf) – Using normalization rules to add local MARC fields to Network Zone linked MARC records.
- Spine-O-Matic label printing (Word) / (pdf)– Spine label printing requires a third-party program. The documentation demonstrates how to download and set up the label printing program.
- Spine-O-Matic Cloud App (Word) / (pdf) – It is unnecessary to install the third-party program using the Cloud App, available from within the Alma homepage.
Loading Electronic Records
- Loading Films on Demand records (Word) / (pdf) – Import Films on Demand records to Alma to enable discovery in Primo.
- Link to Instructional Video to add links to already existing bibliographic records. Please note display/faceting in Primo works best when loading a print bibliographic record and a separate bibliographic record for the electronic version of the title. Accompanying ppt.
Harvesting Repository Records to Alma Primo
- Harvesting Repository Records (Word) / (pdf) – Learn how to set up and harvest repositories, such as Opendora/Islandora or Beepress records, to Alma/Primo.
- How-to Webinar
Using Electronic Government Documents from the Network Zone
- Creating Scope and Search Profile for Primo (Word) / (pdf) – Instructions on creating a scope, search profile, and facet for using eGovernment Documents from the Network Zone.
Localizing local fields from the Network Zone to the Institution Zone (Word) / (pdf) – Learn how to move Alma local fields from the Network Zone to the Institution Zone.
Delete no title records from PALS – Perform a physical title, Keyword search No Title in PALS. These records were present in PALS, then Aleph, and now Alma. Most of the records do not have call numbers associated; Delete the bibliographic records from Alma. Save the Query -> Enter a Set name -> SaveAdmin -> Run a Job -> Withdraw Items Job -> choose the set -> select “Delete holdings; delete bibliographic records that have no other holdings” -> option to further limit by requests or work orders. These records are old and will not have any active requests associated with them. My recommendation do not select any boxes related to requests or work orders -> Next -> Submit -> Confirm.
Fix Aleph Locations in Alma – Clean-up Unassigned and Error locations migrated from Aleph. Fixing Unassigned/Error locations, Physical Titles Search -> Permanent Physical Location = Unassigned also check Error location. Changing locations one at a time: Click on Physical -> Holdings.