Here are some resources for those new to Electronic Resource Management. These resources are also useful to those who need a refresher or need to learn more about Alma and the Central Discovery Index functionality for Electronic Resource Management.
PALS Booking Page
At the PALS Booking Page, you can schedule consultation services, site visits, and specific one-on-one sessions related to ERM. Check out the available services today!
One-on-One Institutional Collection Activation Review Sessions
- One-on-One Institutional Collection Activation Review Sessions (Answer 4338) – Learn why your institution may want to schedule a One-On-One Institutional Collection Activation Review Session, the options for scheduling a session (hybrid on-demand/live option or live option), and links to other pertinent information.
- Lesson: Terminology: Electronic Collections Management (Answer 4271) – Learn the terms used by Alma related to Electronic Collections management. Find out the difference between a portfolio and a collection.
Managing Community Zone Collections that Are Also in the Central Discovery Index
- CDI Basics: From A Systems Perspective webinar (from the Systems UG Discussion Meeting – October 23, 2020 meeting) (Answer 4380) – The Systems User Group requested Carrie Curie from PALS present an overview session on the CDI. This session included information about basic CDI information, proactive troubleshooting, cleanup, actual troubleshooting, recommendations for submitting PALS Support Center Tickets, and the troubleshooting process at PALS and Ex Libris.
- Lesson: Community Zone Collection Activations for Discovery and Access (Answer 4272) – Alma has two types of collection activations available for users. Find out how you can set up collections for discovery and access-or just one of the two.
- Lesson: Community Zone Collection Activation Workflow Options with Tips on Discovery and Access settings in the Activation Wizard (Answer 4273) – Curious about how to get through the Collection Activation Wizard. This lesson introduces you to the type of activation workflows available before sending you to view the CDI – New Roles and Workflows sessions & CDI Q&As.
- Slides from the Webinar: CDI – New Roles and Workflows sessions & CDI Q&As (01/08/20 and 01/09/20) (Answer 4259) – The CDI – New Roles and Workflows sessions & CDI Q&As showcase the workflows used to activate CZ collections. We have included information about which roles Alma requires for the individual workflow options.
- Lesson: Discovery of e-resources in Primo – distinguishing whether a record is coming from Alma or the Central Discovery Index (CDI) (Answer 4269) – This lesson focuses on how to determine whether a record is coming from Alma or the CDI.
- Lesson: Central Discovery Index (CDI) merged records and linking behavior (Answer 4270) – CDI link versus services from the Alma Link Resolver. Alma and the CDI can provide you with one link or many. Find out how Alma and the CDI determine which link to provide your users based on your activated collections.
- Webinar: CDI Record Linking Behavior webinar (from the OA Recommendation TF Meeting October 9, 2020 meeting) (Answer 4374) – The OA Recommended Task Force requested Carrie Curie from PALS to present a session covering the basics of CDI Record Linking Behavior. This session included information about how the CDI merges records, the two methods of linking, how a CDI record determines the linking method to use, and some troubleshooting tips.
- Duplicated Electronic Resource Records in Primo (Answer 4308) – Learn why you might see multiple records for the same title-level entity in Primo VE.
- CDI Record Not Including My Customer ID for the Platform (Answer 4302) – Learn where you can add your Customer ID in Alma for some providers so CDI records will include it in the link to the resource.
Managing CZ-Activated Collections
- Adding a CZ-linked service for a package collection without one (Answer 4348) – Instructions for adding a CZ-linked service to a CZ-linked collection without one.
- Lesson: Selectively Activating Additional Portfolios for a Community Zone with the Ability to View the MARC Record before Activating (Answer 4335) – Learn how to activate additional portfolios of a CZ collection you have already activated. This workflow is designed to allow you to preview the CZ bibliographic record of a portfolio before activating it.
- Lesson: Selectively Activating Portfolios for a New and Existing Collection – Working from the Portfolio (Answer 4336) – The two included workflows cover how to use a portfolio search to find your collection and portfolio and activate them. The first workflow activates a portfolio from a collection you do not have and the collection. The second workflow activates a portfolio from a collection you already have.
- Lesson: Selectively Activating Portfolios for a New and Existing Collection-Working from the Collection Name and the CZ Portfolio List (Answer 4337) – The two included workflows cover how to use a collection search to find your collection and the Portfolio List for your portfolio and activate them. The first workflow activates a portfolio from a collection you do not have and the collection. The second workflow activates a portfolio from a collection you already have.
- Adding all portfolios to a service from the CZ (Answer 4346) – Instructions on how to add all CZ portfolios to a collection from the Electronic Service Editor > Portfolios [tab] > “Add All Portfolios from Community.”
- Adding selected portfolios to a service from the CZ via the service’s Portfolios tab (Answer 4345) – Instructions on adding selected portfolios from a CZ’s title list from the Electronic Service Editor > Portfolios [tab] > “Add Portfolios from Community.”
- Adding a local portfolio to a service from the CZ (Answer 4344) – Instructions for adding a local portfolio to a CZ collection from the Electronic Service Editor > Portfolios [tab] > Add > “Add Local Portfolio.”
Managing NZ-Activated Collections
- Lesson: Working with NZ-Activated Collections (Answer 4329) – Learn how to search for NZ-activated collections in Alma, check your institution’s activations, view a collection’s portfolios, and request changes to your activations.
- If you would like to change any of your activations, submit your requests via the Request for Modification to NZ-activated ELM Collections form. All collections are listed because there are quite a few with similar names. You need only select the collections you want to change. You can submit multiple activation and deactivation requests at the same time.
Managing IZ collections
- Adding a local collection for a database (Answer (4355) – Instructions on how to add a local collection with the Collection Type of “Database.”
- Adding a local collection for an Aggregator or Selective Package (Answer 4354) – Instructions on how to add a local collection with the Collection Type of “Aggregator Package” or “Selective Package.”
- Adding a local portfolio to a service from the IZ for an IZ collection vial the service’s Portfolios tab (Answer 4351) – Instructions on adding local portfolios from the Electronic Service Editor’s Portfolios tab.
Managing Collections – General Information for IZ and CZ collections
- Lesson: How Alma determines whether a collection is activated for Access (Answer 4350) – Learn what you need to have Alma consider a collection activated, and give it a blue IZ or NZ icon.
- Lesson: How Alma determines whether to apply the proxy for a link (Answer 4356) – Learn which settings you can use to have links go through your Proxy Server.
- Adding a collection-level bibliographic record to a collection – or changing the bibliographic record (Answer 4342) – Learn how to add a bib for the collection-level record, or change the existing one.
- Unsuppressing a collection’s bibliographic record (Answer 4341) – Learn how to make your collection-level bib record discoverable in Primo VE.
- Adding a Level URL or Level URL (override) value to a collection record (Answer 4340) – Learn how to provide a link that will display with your collection-level bib in Primo VE.
- Activating a service (Answer 4347) – Instructions on how to activate an existing service.
- Adding a local portfolio to a service via Resources > Add Local Portfolio (Answer 4352) – Instructions on adding local portfolios from the Resources menu’s “Add Local Portfolio” option.
- Activating an existing portfolio for a service (Answer 4343) – Instructions for activating an existing portfolio for a collection’s service.
- PALS Troubleshooting Steps for Electronic Resources (Answer 4359) – Want to learn about some of the basic troubleshooting steps used by PALS? Check out PALS Troubleshooting Steps for Electronic Resources.