GOVERNANCE AND POLICIES
Circulation Policy for MnPALS Consortium Libraries
October, 1986, revised October, 2019
- All MnPALS Consortium libraries will recognize and use the patron identification cards of other MnPALS Consortium libraries. It is assumed that all MnPALS Consortium libraries recognize this policy, unless they opt out by notifying the MnPALS Consortium. A list of MnPALS libraries that have opted in or out of this policy can be found here. Patrons will not be recognized at other MnPALS Consortium libraries if their home libraries opt out of recognizing the policy.
- Home libraries are defined as the libraries of the MnPALS Consortium participant institutions. Patrons are defined as registered students, faculty, and staff at MnPALS Consortium participant institutions.
- Persons using a library other than their home library are expected to adhere to the policies and procedures of the lending library. In instances where priority is a factor in provision of service, priority will be given to the patrons and staff of the lending library
- The normal notification and overdue policies and procedures of the item library will apply to any situations of overdue or other delinquent activity by a patron from another MnPALS library. Contact with the patron’s home library will be made if the overdue situation is not resolved by the end of the normal notice procedures.
- The patron's home library assumes the responsibility for its patrons in terms of assistance in retrieving overdue materials, contacting delinquent patrons, and paying lost material charges, excluding any fine charges, which cannot be collected from its patrons.
- Procedural problems with the implementation of this statement should be resolved between the libraries involved.
- This statement becomes effective on September 1, 1986 and will be annually reviewed by the Consortium of MnPALS Libraries Executive Committee.