Islandora uses “Solution Packs”, which are groups of Drupal modules and helper applications that support various formats, including the necessary tools to display the content, ingest objects, create metadata, and automatically generate derivatives. When applicable, OCR is created automatically, allowing full text searching.
Islandora uses three core software components: Drupal for the user interface, Solr for searching and indexing, and Fedora as the digital asset management software.
We bring digital iniativies together. Currently PALS has five partners across Minnesota. Joining our community means you are no longer alone. PALS and the PALS Islandora Community will help you build a digital repository that matches your unique needs.
Currently, PALS has the following Islandora sites for you to view and explore. Our other sites are under development.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Southwest Minnesota State University
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College
Request a Demonstration
Contact us if you would like a personal demonstration of Islandora. We offer both in-person and online demonstrations.
If you want to try out Islandora for yourself, visit the Islandora sandbox. These sandbox environments illustrate the basic functionality of Islandora's latest releases. They are refreshed daily to the same base image. There is a sandbox for both the version that is built on Drupal 6 and the one built on Drupal 7. At PALS we are working with the Drupal 7 version.
PALS also has a demonstration site for those interested in using Islandora. Contact us and we can ingest a few of your digital objects to show how they look in Islandora.
Documentation and Related Resources
Islandora has an active open source community that provides documentation and other resources, including:
- PALS Islandora Documentation
- Introduction to Islandora (by Infoset)
- Islandora web site
- Official Islandora version 7 documentation
- Islandora Google Users group
- Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative
- Digital Preservation Q&A
PALS has created an Islandora Detailed FAQ as a resource to answer common questions that prospective customers may have regarding Islandora functionality and PALS' services.
PALS Islandora Videos
- A student worker at Minnesota State University, Mankato created a Jing video on how to ingest photographs in Islandora: How to Ingest
PALS demonstrated Islandora for St. Mary’s University of Minnesota. You can watch a 45-minute video of the demonstration.
- In her report on the 2014 Library Technology Conference, Valerie Horton of Mintex mentions Islandora as one of the technologies that caught her eye at the conference.
- PALS demonstrated Islandora for Winona State University. You can watch a 45-minute video of the demonstration at https://umconnect.umn.edu/p37942645/.