Present: Bobby Bothmann (Chair), Robin Horowitz, Perry Madden, Adam Marsnik, Julie Rustad, Orrin Ausen, Stephen Elfstrand, Heather Biederman, Todd Digby, Mary Ann Greenwald, Ruth Anderson, Michael Kirby, Pam Sukalski, Keith Ewing, Susan Dueis, Sharon Evensen, Tammy Bobrowsky, Alec Sonsteby, Michele Throldahl Absent: Pete McDonnell
Bobby Bothmann will continue as convener for fall semester
We will hold an election at fall meeting for new convener
5. Director’s Update - Stephen Elfstrand
Stephen discussed the status of the open positions – one new position has been filled and another is at the interview stage.
Stephen reported on the status of v.19. The clients will be released no later than February 16. Go live date is tentatively planned for March 22. Linda Richter will send out information about upgrades on Wednesday, February 18.
EZproxy - The EZproxy project is going well and is almost done. Currently, 19 institutions have switched.
MnPALS Plus – MnPALS Plus marketing and press release is underway. Signed North Dakota.
Innovation Team – the Innovation team is still tracking open source ILSs; however, none are ready for academic consortiums.
Discovery Tools – Staff still working on ongoing development, including the following: fixes to Course Reserves, better control of ILL requests, playing around with multi-lingual interface.
Ex Libris URM Task Force – there has been a request for someone to join the Ex Libris URM Task Force. Someone from the PALS office will volunteer to ensure we have a voice.
ERM: PALS is working on CUFTS and talking with NyLINK about possible partnership. NyLINK working on ERM and PALS is close to finishing OpenURL. PALS is hoping to offer both services by fall – perhaps by Annual Meeting. There would be a separate cost for each service. Support and Training Services updates can be found on the PALS web site.
6. MnSCU Upate - Todd Digby
Budget: There will be cuts to MnSCU’s budget. Governor wants to cut $146 million. MnSCU is waiting to hear from house and senate higher education committees. Feedback they are receiving is forewarning that there will be cuts, but MnSCU staff and students are reporting some positive feedback. There is some agreement to increase PALS budget for next year.
Stimulus Package: MnSCU is waiting to see how Obama’s stimulus package will affect budgets.
Textbook Legislation: Work on textbook legislation is still underway. Various pilots are underway.
7. Discovery Tool Task Force Report - Alec Sonsteby
The Discovery Tool Task Force came up with three recommendations for the User Council.
That the User Council accepts as completed the work of the DTTF and disband the group, while establishing working groups for any new discovery tools and services PALS may be exploring. Passed with the following motion.
Motion: That the User Council accepts as completed the work of the DTTF and disbanded the group while establishing working groups for any new discovery tools and services PALS may be exploring. MOTION CARRIES.
That the User Council establish a “MnPALS Plus Working Group” to provide oversight for decision-making for MnPALS Plus. Passed with the following motion.
Motion: That the User Council establishes a “MnPALS Plus Working Group” to provide oversight for decision-making for MnPALS Plus. MOTION CARRIES
That all future suggestions and requests for refinements and enhancements to MnPALS Plus should be submitted to a MnPALS Plus board created on the MnPALS forums. Bug reports should continue to be reported through the Support Center. Passed with the following motion.
Motion: That all future suggestions and requests for refinements and enhancements to MnPALS Plus should be submitted to a MnPALS Plus board created on MnPALS forums. Bug reports should continue to be reported through the Support Center. MOTION CARRIES.
Next Steps: Formally create a MnPALS Plus Working group. Alec Sonsteby will be convener to set up Working Group and get them started. This Working Group should be up and running by the end of March. An email will sent out asking for volunteers.
8. Distribution of Development - EZproxy, OpenULR, etc.
Question posed to PALS and User Council – How does MnPALS and MnSCU involve the membership in the development of open source resources PALS and MnSCU are working on?
A discussion ensued to determine how the membership could be involved with helping to develop and test various projects. Stephen Elfstrand suggested creating a little task force or working group to assist with looking at various products. Pilots were also suggested to test ERMs and OpenURL when NyLINK’s updates are made. Another suggestion was made to pose the question at the Annual Meeting and to discuss with the Executive Council.
9. MnSCU 2020
MnSCU hired a consultant to look at the future of MnSCU in 2020. The consultant’s report is still at the level of Board of Trustees. Discussion of report began last fall, but has not been discussed at the last two meetings. There is a concern in regard to the Governor’s request for 25% of courses to be online. Discussion has revolved around the feasibility of this request.
The council discussed how to serve more students with better product with fewer resources. Questions – how do we libraries inform up? What does all this mean? Todd Digby keeps Linda Baer informed about issues as much as possible.
A motion was made to create a Library 2020 plan in response to the MnSCU plan.
Motion: Recommend that the Executive Committee consider that the Needs Assessment Task Force draft a proactive Library 2020 document as an informative response to MnSCU 2020. MOTION CARRIES.
10. Needs Assessment Task Force
Names have been submitted to form Needs Assessment Task Force. The Executive Council will be discussing the TF at the February 12, 2009 meeting.
Question was asked whether there should be involvement from the PALS office on the TF. It was determined that this would not be necessary. The TF would be a consortium exercise.
11. Fall 2009 MnPALS User Group Upates
The planning committee is still looking for location for the Annual Meeting. Possible locations include Wellstone Center, Bandana Square, and Arboretum. They are also checking with St. Cloud to serve as a backup. They are still trying to schedule meeting in conjunction to Regional Ex Libris User Group. User Groups should begin program planning as there will be an annual meeting in some form, but may not be as planned. All depends on budgets.
12. 2009 MnPALS User Group Workdays Reports
Reference: The date is set for April 3. The program is finalized. Question asked about money from MnPALS to pay for coffee and donuts.
Systems: Idea of workday is still in discussion. They are waiting until after v. 19 to look at possible dates and programs.
Circ/ILL: There is some interest. Having trouble getting topics and presenters. Looking at a joint workday. Space is reserved at St. Cloud for April 30 and May 1.
Cataloging: Possible joint two day event. Dates set for April 23 and 24 at Metropolitan State. One day will be joint Acq/Ser/Cat; one day Cataloging alone.
Acq/Serials: No date or plans set yet. Meeting scheduled for afternoon. Will consider Cataloging’s idea for joint workday.
Question posed: At what point does the workday get cancelled? It was decided that it was up to the individual User Group.
We also briefly discussed the new PALS-created Aleph reports for NCES and ACRL statistics. A reminder email will be sent to the Consortium.
Reminder: Start to advertise User Group Workdays.
13. Report to the Executive Committee
Michael Kirby will report recommendations and decisions of the Discovery Tool Task Force.
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 am
April 16 in St. Cloud
Secretary for February Meeting: Julie Rustad
1. Welcome and Introductions (9:00-9:10)
2. Additions/Approval of Agenda (9:10-9:15)
3. Approve minutes of 13 November Meeting (9:15-9:20)