Co-Convener: Robin Horowitz, Minnesota State Law Library Co-Convener: Sarah Quimby, Minnesota Historical Society Recorder: Peg O'Neill, Minnesota State University Moorhead
1. Welcome and Introductions– The meeting was convened by co-conveners Robin Horowitz and Sarah Quimby. Peg O’Neill was thanked for recording minutes today.
2. Approval of Agenda– Dianne Narum made a motion to approve today’s agenda and motion was seconded.
3. Approve Fall 2013 Minutes – Kathleen Ashe made a motion to approve the Fall 2013 minutes. Seconded by Adam Marsnik.
4. Elections– Sarah Quimby thanked Peg O’Neill and Elissah Becknell for serving on the Cataloging Steering Committee and asked all attending to caucus in designated library groups to fill the three expiring committee member terms. After caucusing, Sarah announced the following:
Dianne Narum, Bemidji State University, will represent State University Libraries
Mike Rybak, Inver Hills Community College, will represent Two Year Colleges
Sarah Quimby, Minnesota Historical Society, will continue to represent Special and State Government Libraries
The Cataloging Steering Committee members will meet briefly after our business meeting today to choose a new convener(s)
5. PALS Report (pdf)– Alex Kent reported that there was no ‘in-person’ annual spring Cataloging Workday this year. Alex’s Cataloging Report can be found on pages 4-8 of the PALS Report.
Alex also reported that Aleph version 22 is in the very early testing stage. A printing issue concerning the inability to copy and paste Aleph supplied reports has surfaced but the PALS staff is working on developing a work around. Deb Domek reported Ex Libris responded to a flurry of activity on the list-serve by explaining that the problem is really a Microsoft Windows 8 issue and that extra special testing will need to be done by those libraries that beta test. Also, Al Rykus was aware of the issue with multiple 264 fields when importing RDA records. The testing date of Aleph version 22 is December 1, 2014 with an upgrade date of mid-February 2015. Adam Marsnik asked if postponing the upgrade date of version 22 was an option if printing issues still existed. Stephen Elfstrand did not commit to postponing the upgrade. A minor release, version 22.1, exists but would not be released until after the version 22 upgrade.
6. Indexing, Authorities and RDA Task Forces – The Indexing Task Force met on October 2, 2014. The Authorities and RDA Task Forces have not met this year. The question was asked, should the RDA Task Force be disbanded? The charge to the RDA Task Force is, To provide support for the implementation of RDA for the Consortium of MnPALS Libraries. The Task Force will be the primary point of contact for PALS during the implementation of RDA. After discussion, it was agreed that the RDA Task Force not disband at this time but the subject be revisited again next year.
7. Minitex Report – Jolie Graybill introduced herself as the new Assistant Director of the Digitization, Cataloging, and Metadata Education (DCME) unit. Also new to the unit is Molly Huber, Outreach Coordinator for the Minnesota Digital Library. Mark Ehlert will be leaving Minitex and joining the library staff at the University of St. Thomas. Mark’s last day is October 28, 2014. He will continue to contract catalog for Minitex as well as Carla Urban. DCME is working on their training report planning for next year and wants to hear what training we need. Jolie reminded our group that Minitex offers a 10% consortial discount on RDA Toolkit and that Minnesota Reflections has added seven new collections during the past year.
8. Cataloging Steering Committee Report – This report was covered by Alex Kent in his PALS Report.
9. Data Cleanup – Report of the Conference Call – Bobby Bothmann and Alex Kent presented this webinar sponsored by the Cataloging Steering Committee as part of its 2014 virtual workday on October 7, 2014 with 25-30 attendees. Demonstrated at the session were topics using MarcEdit to clean up records and find duplicate records, File-90 and uploading/downloading files without the use of FTP software. The session was recorded but unfortunately without sound. Stephen Elfstrand inquired if libraries are using OCLC’s Bib Record Notification service.
Stephen talked about overlay options and Adam Marsnik discussed file-90.
10. Spring 2015 Workday Planning –Sarah Quimby stated again that there wasn’t an ‘in-person‘ spring 2014 Cataloging Workday as travel budgets are tight and session presenters were hard to find. Therefore, the Catalog Steering Committee decided to do conference call sessions instead. Sarah asked for comments concerning these virtual sessions such as, did you attend and was this format more convenient? Dianne Narum commented that it is easier to ask questions in person. Suggested topics for 2015 workday included the overlay of records, hybrid records and information about BibFrame.
11. FAST and BISAC Heading Discussion – OCLC records contain these headings. Discussion revealed that most catalogers are just deleting the headings and that it isn’t all that time consuming. Stephen Elfstrand asked if suppressing the headings would be helpful but a comment was made that suppressing isn’t the answer because some libraries are using the 6xx fields for local headings. Another question posed if the headings were affecting MnPALS indexing. According to Deb Domek, it is definitely affecting the size of the index. As for the speed of indexing, she wasn’t sure, maybe a little. Would the consortium as a whole need to agree on how to deal with these headings (not likely, per Robin Horowitz) or could individual libraries decide on how to handle? Some of our group thought this could be another topic/discussion for workday.
14. Adjourn – At 3:00 pm a motion was quickly made to adjourn the meeting because of time.
Adam Marsnik expressed his sincere thanks to Sarah and Robin for all of their dedicated work as co-conveners!
1. Welcome and Introductions
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Approve Fall 2013 Minutes
State University Libraries – Peg O'Neill
Two-Year College Libraries – Elissah Becknell
Special and State Government Libraries – Sarah Quimby
5. PALS Report (pdf) – Alex Kent, PALS
Aleph Version 22
6. Indexing, Authorities, and RDA Task Forces
Task forces have not met this year
Should the RDA Task Force be disbanded?
7. Minitex Report – Jolie Graybill, Minitex DCME Unit