Database Quality Management Task Force
September 15, 2000
October 24, 2006
The Database Quality Management Task Force will investigate the integrity of the MnSCU/PALS database and make recommendations to the Cataloging User Group on issues related to improving the quality of the database.
Issues to Investigate
- Identify the issues related to preparing for migration
- Investigate the quality and make recommendations to the User Group on the acceptance of third party vendor records other than OCLC and MARCIVE records
- Develop a policy for base record corrections and enhancements
- Define a report mechanism for libraries that are not authorized to edit base records
- Develop education/training for quality control and training base record editors
- Set up a method for matching mentors for those who want one, someone to review their cataloging or answer questions.
- Discussion paper for using PALS as a cataloging database and uploading holdings to OCLC
- Consorital cataloging issues; e.g. 505 notes, MMR (move MARC record)
- Investigate the possibility of adding MARC holdings information to the proper MARC holdings tags and include them in the bib record with the idea that they could be mapped to the holdings record during migration.
Kathleen Ashe – Southwest Minnesota State University
Sheila Hatchell – Minnesota Historical Society
Tess Kasling – St. Ben's/St. John's
Joan Klanderud – South Central College, North Mankato
Adam Marsnik – Normandale Community College
Sandy Roe – Minnesota State University, Mankato
Dennis Skrade – Minnesota State Law Library
Edward Swanson – MINITEX (Chair)
Jeff Taylor – University Center Rochester