Cataloging User Group: Fall 2011
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
1:30 - 2:20 p.m.
The meeting was convened at 1:30 pm by Carrie Curie (MSCTC-Moorhead) and Jane Young (Century College), co-conveners. Attendance List. The recorder was Sarah Quimby (Minnesota Historical Society).
Bobby Bothmann (MSU, Mankato) moved to approve the Fall 2010 minutes. Motion was seconded by Linda Swanson (Concordia). Motion passed-minutes approved.
Elections were held for the positions that were vacant or had terms expiring. The results:
• Private Colleges and Universities: Lori Pesik (St. Mary’s University)
• MnSCU Two-Year Colleges: Adam Marsnik (Normandale) was elected in absentia. A second representative was not elected at the meeting; the Steering Committee will put out an e-mail to the PALS List to find the second.
• State Government: Robin Horowitz (Minnesota State Law Library) was elected in absentia.
PALS Report Response – Perry Madden (PALS)
Perry Madden (PALS) was on the agenda to discuss the PALS Report; however, he deferred talking about the global changes to SYS01 fixed field to Lori Pesik’s presentation, Global Changes to SYS01 Records Fixed Fields.
Lori asked if Mary Ann Greenwald’s position will be filled, and Perry replied, yes, within the next few months.
Minitex Report - Sara Ring
Sara gave a report on Minitex/BATS activities. After giving a brief explantation of Minitex BATS, Sara said that Minitex is expanding more into other forms metadata beyond MARC (Dublin Core, etc.).
In other news:
• Mark Wilhelmi is retiring (he did most of the OCLC training) at end of year.
• Connexion client end of life for 2.1, 2.2, but has been pushed out. 2.4 will be pushed out sometime next spring.
• In Connexion 2.3, one can now export a record that does not have an OCLC number. Thus, one can now use OCLC Connexion as a generic MARC record editor.
• Minitex’s 40th anniversary. Minitex is giving away Minitex 40th anniversary pens. Sara gave a little quiz about Minitex, and the winner (Bobby Bothmann) got the pen.
• Sara is doing oral history interviews to commemorate Minitex’s 40th anniversary, and is looking for more people to interview. Oral histories are up on the web. She also gave a few snippets of an interview with Susan Mahmoodi about the beginnings of MOTSE.
• Minitex is continuing to offer RDA training.
Authorities Task Force Update
The Cataloging Steering Committee discussed whether or not to disband the Authorities Task Force until there is more work to be done. Tina Gross (St. Cloud State) said, why not go on hiatus until spring. When RDA is implemented, there will be a lot of things to talk about, but for now their work is complete.
Bobby Bothmann gave the report of the MnPALS Indexing Task Force Report. The Task Force went through the MARC format changes and how they would affect the indexing. There were not very many. The MITF sent a proposal to Reference about displaying the new RDA tags, since RDA records are coming in.
Cataloging Steering Committee Update
Carrie Curie discussed the document of outstanding cataloging action items that Mary Ann Greenwald sent to the Steering Committee shortly before her retirement. Still in process: PALS is uploading CREDO, Films on Demand and attaching holdings. Talk with PALS if you’re interested in that. Al Rykhus (PALS) specified that those records are being loaded into MnPALS Plus.
Among Mary Ann’s items:
• Catalogers can use MARCEdit to correct records to edit records and load them into ALEPH. However, they should consult with PALS first.
• Ex Libris is now (finally!) keeping up with MARBI updates. The Steering Committee recommends we accept the updates as installed in the Ex Libris service packs. Bobby Bothmann cried: Do it! Lori Pesik asked it the Committee needed to vote on it. Al Rykhus said that check docs [i.e., the validation tables] are a different issue, he thinks that service packs only install forms. Carrie says, no, record checks/validation table WILL be looking at new MARC fields from Ex Libris. Al still isn’t sure.
Lori mentioned that at the last workday, Mary Ann’s report said, as of Dec. 2010 PALS office will no longer make manual updates to validation, since Ex Libris will be providing updates. Updated information will be applied with service packs. Al replied that Deb Domek hasn’t been applying the sections for the check docs. Bobby said that it would be nice to have them updated.
Lori asked if the steering committee needs to look at this issue, but felt that wouldn’t see any harm in just using the Ex Libris tables.
Al repeated that PALS didn’t look at the check doc tables. He felt the ones from Ex Libris were better. He recommended that we look at check docs we get from Ex Libris and do a comparison. Al can “do a diff” in the directories. He mentioned that this whole issue has not been brought up in the tech staff meetings; but maybe he missed the meeting where it was discussed. Recommends NOT implementing it before we take a look. Al will run a report and give to Perry.
• The next item on the agenda was a vote on display of 588 field in OPAC. This issue came about because Ex Libris sent updates to tab_01. Steering Committee thought some libraries might want the field to display.
Bobby Bothmann stated that the 588 field was created with MARBI to put source of title note, information that is basically talking to other catalogers. A lot of people wanted to suppress that, since the patrons didn’t care. That was MARBI’s intent.
Tina Gross added that that was the explicit purpose of the 588 field. People shouldn’t put any information they want to display.
A vote was taken on, should the 588 display in the OPAC. In favor: one; Opposed: one. Everyone else abstained.
Bobby Bothmann said, “I feel indifferent since MnPALS Plus negates so much of what we do.”
Sarah Quimby: “Since it doesn’t display already, it makes sense to keep it that way.”
Jane Young: “Let the record reflect complete indifference!”
• Lori Pesik made a motion to use the Ex Libris tag information, and any help information about the tags, instead of using any PALS customization. Seconded. The motion passed.
• Tina Gross then asked about MnPALS Plus faceting. St. Cloud State does not strip non-LCSH. However, they all produce facets in MnPALS Plus, and they don’t want them to create facets. Would it be possible to edit on a library-by-library basis?
Al Rykhus: Can’t edit library-by-library. Facets are split into four sections by tag, not indicators. Non-authoritized SH (690s, etc) are put into a separate list. It is possible to facet, excluding by indicators. Al tried to mimic the indexing in MnPALS in MnPALS Plus as much as possible. Jean Kramer (MSU, Moorhead): Kick out the foreign subject headings. Al Rykhus: a keyword subject search will still retrieve them. Tina Gross will submit a ticket about the editing the faceting in MnPALS plus by 6XX indicators.
Report/Update on Global Changes to SYS01 Fixed Fields (Lori Pesik, St. Mary’s University)
Tech staff at PALS wrote PERL scripts so that we could make the changes to the fixed fields. Deb Domek did all of the changes. Ultimately, PALS has made 47 changes to fixed fields. For those 47, we made 252,000+ record changes. (Not unique; many records needed several changes). However, global changes to variable fields will be a lot more difficult. To make changes to variable fields, we will need to work with the PALS tech staff. Lori added that a unique cataloger code was applied for each change, so we can retrieve sets that had had the change applied.
Spring 2012 Workday Planning
Carrie Curie mentioned that there were some comments on the evaluations from last year that special libraries would like more programming just for them. Carrie asked them to please submit some ideas! The committee may also may post a poll to see if they want to have the workday this year online.
Jane Young asked how would people feel about having a virtual workday?
Bobby Bothmann replied that talking to people face to face is very valuable. He asked how virtual workday worked out for CIRC/ILL.
Carrie Curie said that attendance was comparable.
Jane said that the Committee might alternate virtual/face to face every year. Jane added that she likes the workday and finds it to be very helpful, but she also understands that it’s hard for people to get away. Carrie said that it was a common problem in the comments, that people can’t get away.
Bobby Bothmann mentioned that the Committee also opened it up to ND and SD last year, had some people come.
A question was asked about recording the sessions. Perry said that it would depend on the venue, if recording would even work. The consensus was that part of the advantage of the workday is that people get together and trade ideas.
Sarah Quimby (Minnesota Historical Society) gave a brief update on the future of RDA.
The RDA Test Coordinating Committee issued recommendation on June 14 to implement RDA in the three national libraries, not before January 2013, provided certain conditions can be met. Among those conditions are rewriting portions of the text and transitioning away from the MARC format.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:20.
1.Welcome and Introductions – Carrie Curie (MN State Community and Technical College) and Jane Young (Century College), Co-Conveners
2. Recorder – Sara Quimby (Minnesota Historical Society)
3. Approve Fall 2010 Minutes
4. Elections – Current Steering Committee
- Private Colleges and Universities - One Representative
- MnSCU Two-Year Colleges - Two Representatives
- State Government Libraries - One Representative
5. PALS Report Response – Perry Madden (PALS)
6. Minitex Reports – Minitex Bibliographic and Technical Services Staff (BATS)
- Minitex Report for MnPALS User Group
- BATS Information for MnPALS Cataloging User Group
7. Authorities Task Force Update
- Discussion on whether to disband the Task Force until there is more work to be done
8. MnPALS Indexing Task Force Report – Bobby Bothmann (Minnesota State, Mankato)
9. Cataloging Steering Committee Update
- Vote on display of 588 field in OPAC
10. Report/Update on Global Changes to SYS01 Records Fixed Fields – Lori Pesik (St. Mary’s University)
11. Spring 2012 Workday Planning – Possible Topics
- Review April 2011 Acquisitions/Serials/Cataloging Workday
12. RDA Update – Sarah Quimby (Minnesota Historical Society)