Aleph version 21 ready for testing
Work continues on the upgrade to Aleph version 21 and we are on track for a September 23, 2012 switch to production.
We are now ready to have the consortium libraries begin to work with version 21. It is important that you install the version 21 client, look at the data that has been migrated from version 20 (as of July 14), and test functionality. At this time, begin by checking often used functions to make sure all is still working as expected. We plan to have the document that describes functionality new to version 21 available by August 28. At that time, please look carefully at new/changed functionality. You have until September 18 to test, but if you find something that you think is a problem, please let us know right away to give us time to check into it. Use the PALS support center and select product “Version 21 Upgrade”.
Everything you need to start testing can be found on the PALS web site at http://www.mnpals.org/content/aleph-21-upgrade-information. Here you will find the following.
- The version 21 clients. Use this client ONLY for testing version 21, not for production use at this time! To install the client, follow the instructions on this page.
- A Testing Checklist.
- Aleph 21 Release Notes.
- Links to Aleph 21 Web OPACs.
- If you make any changes to tables or files on dev21, they will not be saved. Only tables and files on the production version 20 server will be moved to production version 21 in September.
- The production server will be down for a few hours on Saturday, September 22 to do the switch over. The web OPAC and MnPALS Plus will be redirected to dev20 during this time, which will have the data from prod20 as of September 15.
Following is an updated project plan for your information.
- Test server preparation – April – May (completed)
- Install version 21 on test server – May (completed)
- Production server preparation – August (completed)
Data and Table Conversion and Testing
- First version 21 conversion on test server – May (completed)
- Second version 21 conversion on test server – August (completed)
- Third version 21 conversion on production server – August (completed)
- Test version 21 – May - September (in process)
- Last day to update tables in version 20 – September 14
- Final version 21 conversion – September 17-22
Version 21 Functionality Review
- Version 21 client available to libraries for use with test server – August 22
- Online functionality review of version 21 features available – August 28
- Presentations at User Group meeting – October 23
Planned “Go Live” Date
- Planning for v.21 to be in production – September 23